SAP HANA is database software that was created by SAP SE to administer Business Intelligence and other data-based applications. It has a special data-storage feature that allows the user to retrieve data whenever it is required via applications. It is one of the best platforms to execute data analysis and predicting future occurrences using graphical representations. The reason for its growing popularity is its column-oriented database management attribute that helps to upgrade business performances. SAP HANA implementation can be found in all the latest enterprise applications based on GRC, ERP, and data analytics that provide high-speed data management and access.
What makes SAP HANA unique?: Conventional Relational Database Management Systems rely on hard disk to store the essential information. Thus when a user will try to access data, time gets wasted in loading the data into the main memory. SAP HANA prefers the memory for data storage to make use of the speed it offers in data transfer. This enables the managers to get quick responses from their customers and the required information gets processed effectively. Organizations that are based on handling bid-data can experience a lot of benefits from this particular characteristic.
The architecture of SAP HANA: The overall architecture comprises several data compression techniques such as cluster encoding and sparse encoding. When the storage capacity of the main memory becomes full, the rest of the unused data is stored back in the hard disk. These include tables, views, diagrams that are also known as application semantics. The user can insert them again for future purposes. Although the discharging of data can take place automatically, some users prefer to do it manually from the respective tables created in the SAP HANA studio. The entire structure of this database can be divided into five major components:
- Index Server: This is the most functioning unit of SAP HANA that comprises all the essential data elements and engine for processing it. The data requests triggered by the application users are inspected and accepted accordingly by the Index Server. To prevent data loss it preserves the HANA system when the software gets crashed and you have to restart it. Another segment of the Index Server is responsible for handling transactions and payment details.
- Preprocessor server: This part mainly deals with supervision and presentation of text data. This includes utilizing the aspects of the preprocessor server to effectively analyze text data. When a user searches for something certain text material is typed. This input data is extracted by the preprocessor server for performing consequent functions.
- Name server: It is responsible for the storage of information based on System Landscape in the HANA software. In any system, the overall environment is divided into multiple nodes and CPUs to evenly segregate and process incoming data. The Name server is appointed the task of managing the various configurations of the HANA system and storing the information in these topologies. Thus the overall time taken for re-categorizing data is reduced.
- Statistic server: This unit ensures that all the major components of a system are functioning normally. It checks if the systems are using the resources completely and giving the necessary output required by the user. If there is a lack of performance in any system, it reports it to the data manager to fix the issue.
- XS Server: This includes XS Engine that works with external environments such as JAVA and HTML. The XS Engine client uses the features of HTTP to pass on data from the HANA system to the webserver. This server is used by programmers and developers to execute application-related tasks.
Prime benefits of SAP HANA system: There are several reasons for which users are preferring SAP HANA system over traditional database management systems:
- Ability to handle a bigger volume of data: In today’s generation of business, every organization has to meet the trends of bid-data handling. SAP HANA lets you process a bigger as well as a wider range of data. In addition to this, it tries to integrate data management by optimizing the available resources fully. Dates and timelines do not get delayed due to the increased data reliability of this system.
- Parallel processing of data: Since data can be stored in the form of columns, both the task of searching and accumulating data are done in the form of loops. This parallel data processing reduces the overall time taken to perform individual tasks. Also, the data gets uploaded in the cache memory quickly. When you divide the information in the form of columns, each of them can be assigned to a specific processor to obtain the maximum outcome.
- Real-time analysis of data: SAP HANA prevents wastage of time in transferring data from one location to another with the help of in-built business intelligence features. The user can perform analytical tasks along with management of negotiations with the customers. The decision-making abilities have become much faster than it was a few years ago. This is because the system manifests business effectiveness using external resources and data modeling.
- Flexible environment: SAP HANA system is harmonious with other database platforms, hardware, and software that makes it one of the best solutions for handling significant data. It will help your company to collaborate with other management systems without losing its own interface. It also gives new insights to the operators and upgrades their workflow management.
- Can manage aggregates effectively: Systematic aggregates formed by the software help the operators to avoid the stress of performing repeatable tasks. These aggregated data are automatically created and stored once you write or design something on the file. It helps to reduce the time taken to scan a large amount of data and makes the system more compact.
- Increased scope for innovation: SAP HANA community is shifting towards a cloud-based system for storing and handling data. SAP HANA cloud platform in India and other countries allow the software developers who are willing to extend the potential of HANA by creating the best products.
Conclusion: SAP HANA has completely changed the system of database management with its simplified operational architecture. With the availability of its different packages, it can handle the business of all sizes.