The liver is the largest internal part of the human body which performs various functions like making proteins, helping in blood clots, removing bacteria from the blood, processing nutrients and preventing infections. At times due to infection or some other problem, some people start facing problems with their lever. In severe conditions, the liver can also be damaged, which then causes liver transplantation.
Table of Contents
What is a Liver Transplant?
A surgical procedure in which the old liver, which has failed and is not working properly, is removed and replaced with a healthy one is known as Liver Transplant. The transplanted lover has to be either from a deceased donor or a portion of a healthy liver for a living donor.
Some of the common reasons for liver failure leading to transplant are:
- Hepatitis B and C.
- Damage to the liver due to excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Building up of fat in the liver, causing inflammation or liver cell damage.
- Genetic diseases like hemochromatosis, causing excessive iron build-up in the liver, and Wilson’s disease, causing excessive copper build-up in the liver.
- Diseases affecting the bile ducts (the tubes that carry bile away from the liver), such as primary biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis and biliary atresia. Biliary atresia is the most common reason for liver transplant among children.
All these above conditions are major causes of cirrhosis and can lead to a liver transplant. The liver transplant can only occur after some tests like:
- Laboratory tests: which can include blood and urine tests to assess the health of the various organs, including liver
- Imaging tests: Ultrasound of your liver
- Heart tests to determine the health of the body’s cardiovascular system
- A general health exam: It evaluates the overall health and check for any other illness that can adversely impact the transplant.
These tests will help the doctor determine whether your liver needs a transplant or can be cured by medication. While there is various live transplant hospital in the country, we will provide a list of approved hospitals for liver transplant in Delhi, along with their contact details:
|S No.||Hospital||Address||Contact Details|
|1.||Max Super Speciality Hospital||1/2 Press Enclave Road, Saket,
Delhi 110 017
|Phone: 011 – 26515050
|2.||Medanta The Medicity||CH Baktawar Singh Road, Islampur Colony, Sector 38,
Gurgaon 122 018
|Phone: 0124 – 4411441
|3.||Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute Research Centre||Sector – 5, Rohini
Delhi 110 085
|4.||Saroj Super Speciality Hospital||Plot No 2, Institutional Area, Sector 14 Ext., Rohini,
New Delhi 110085
|Phone: 011- 4790 3333
|5.||Sir Ganga ram Hospital||Rajinder Nagar,
Delhi 110 060
|Phone: 011 – 25750000
|6.||All India Institute of Medical Science||AIIMS,Ansari Nagar,
|Phone: 011 -26588500
|7.||Army Hospital Research and Referral||11, Dhaula Kuan, Delhi Cantt, New Delhi, DL
|Phone: 011 – 23338199|
|8.||BLK Hospital||Pusa Road, Karol Bagh, New Delhi, DL
|Phone: 011 – 30403040
|9.||Fortis Escorts Heart Institute||Okhla Road,
New Delhi 110 025
|10.||Fortis Hospital||B-22 Sector 62, Noida, 201301,
|Phone: 0120 – 4300222
|11.||Fortis Memorial and Research Institute||Sector 44, Opposite HUDA City Centre Metro Station, Gurgaon||Delhi 122 002
Phone: 012 – 47162200
|12.||Govind Ballabh Pant Hospital||1 – Jawahar Lal Nehru Marg, GB Paant Hospital,
|Phone: 011 – 23233001
|13.||Indraprastha Apollo Hospital||Sarita Vihar, Delhi Mathura Road,
Delhi 110 076
|Phone: 011 – 26925858
|14.||Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences(ILBS)||Plot No.D-1, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi,
Delhi 110 070
|Phone: 011 – 26706700
|15.||Jaypee Hospital||Noida-Greater Noida Expressway, Sector 128,
|Phone: 0120 412 2222
Based on your preference you can book an online appointment with any of these hospitals. While liver transplant is a safe option it also has some risks attached to it.
Risks associated with Liver Transplant
One of the main risks is your body rejecting the new liver, causing transplant failure. It can also put you at high risk for infection. Some other risks include:
- damage to the bile ducts
- blood clots
- side effects from medications taken to allow your immune system to accept the new liver, including high blood sugar from steroids
Liver Transplant can be a critical surgery so you must keep the hospital list in mind if you want to get a Liver Transplant in Delhi and accordingly after proper testing get your liver transplant. This will help you live a healthy and happy life.