June 20, 2024

Conducting a Health Examination before Applying for an Australian Visa

Australian Visa application

Do you need to conduct a health examination? If yes, then actually depends on the kind of visa you want to apply. According to the Department of Home Affairs (DoHA), it will provide complete details on the website though this blogpost gives a short synopsis.

Temporary applicants for visa

The kind of examination you need to perform depend on thee factors:

  • the visa you need to apply
  • the time span you wish to be there in Australia
  • the risk for tuberculosis or TB from your country
  • if DoHA finds your health to be of particular significance depending on what you wish to perform in Australia
  • any specific situation
  • whether there is any specific medical condition when you are being examined or during visa application process

The temporary applicants for visa need to conduct the following tests:

  • If you stay in a country where there is low risk and wish to be there for not more than 6 months, then you will not have to perform any health examination till some particular circumstances need to apply.
  • If you live in a country where there is higher risk for your stay more than 6 months, then you have to perform an x-ray for the chest and medical examination.

If you are staying in Australia for 28 days, then the DoHA consist of any time you would like to spend in Australia after calculating your stay time for health need.

In certain situations, you will have to undergo these additional tests:

  • If you stay in a country where there is high risk of TB and would like to enter healthcare centre, then you require performing a medical examination and an examination of the chest.
  • When you get pregnant and want to have your baby in Australia, then performing hepatitis B test is necessary.
  • If you want to work as a doctor, nurse or dentist, then it is necessary to perform x-ray of your chest, HIV test, medical examination and hepatitis B and C tests
  • If you want to work as a trainee at an Australian childcare centre, then conducting a chest x-ray and medical examination is needed.
  • If you are above 75 years and want to apply for a Visitor visa, then a medical examination is required.

When you need to attend panel clinic, you might be asked if you want to apply for your permanent stay within the next 6 to 12 months. If your answer is yes, then they will ask whether you should be assessed for your stay. You will need to undergo further examinations when you pay for additional examinations.

The details of some countries that have been categorised as high risk and low risk can be attained from the World Health Organization and stored in the legislative instrument.

Provisional and permanent applicants for visa

Whether you require conducting a health examination for getting your visa to Australia, this depends on the visa you want to apply and duration.

The provisional as well as permanent visa applicants should include these following health examinations:

  • Medical examination is conducted below 2 years
  • Medical test and screening test for TB for 2 years or more though less than 11 years. This can either be Interferon-Gamma Release Assay or IGRA and Tuberculin Skin Test or TST when you come from high risk country and have tuberculosis or want to apply for visa of humanitarian type or refugee
  • Chest X-ray and medical examination for 11 years or more but less than 15 years
  • X ray of your chest, HIV test and medical examination for 15 years or more

Other tests needed than the ones mentioned above will need these circumstances:

  • If you are 15 years or older and want to work as a dentist, doctor or nurse, then you require performing a hepatitis B and C test
  • If you are 15 years or older and need to apply for an onshore protection visa, then you require hepatitis C and B tests as well as syphilis test
  • In case you’re 15 years or older and need to apply for a refugee visa, then conducting syphilis test along with other tests will address all your health concerns.
  • When you become pregnant and want to give birth to your baby in Australia, a hepatitis B test is important.
  • If you want to adopt a child or a child in the territory government welfare authority or Australian state care, then a HIV test and a hepatitis B test is needed.

The DoHA will require performing further tests when the health condition can be detected after you conduct initial health assessment or during your visa application.

Thus, you may visit here for more details about your health examination before applying for an Australian visa to know all your possible options related to health examination needs.