Several people have decided to take up a cosmetic procedure known as teeth whitening in order to restore their smile. But what do we know about the teeth whitening procedure and how does it work? In this article, we will be discussing everything you need to know about teeth whitening procedure.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is a very popular dental cosmetic procedure that lightens the color of the surface of the teeth in order to remove discolorations and stains.
There are two methods one can get their teeth whitened and they are:
- The slower method: this method involves the use of teeth whitening toothpastes with abrasive ingredients meant to get rid of stains and discolouration. Basically, this method works in a way that is best described as scraping off the dirt and stains on the surface of the teeth. This method takes time before results are noticed, however, when incorporated into the daily routine, it gives better results.
- The faster method: this method uses an active ingredient such as carbamide peroxide, which is a popular chemical used in bleaching teeth and to remove stains. This method can either be carried out in the dentist office or the dentist will deliver the home kit to the client. This method is carried out and supervised by a dentist and this will ensure the well-being of your enamel.
Why do people bleach their teeth?
Teeth whitening is a dental cosmetic procedure meant to help with the improvement of a person’s appearance and enhancing their smile. It has been noticed that people feel better about themselves when they have a beautiful smile to flaunt. This means that people get a boost to their personality when their dental appearance is acceptable. Actions like kindness towards others, charisma and intelligence have seen a significant increase in people who have undergone teeth whitening procedure.
Additionally, it has also been proven that people who have undergone teeth whitening procedure also increased their level of oral care in a bid to maintain the whitened teeth.
Types of teeth whitening
Teeth whitening can be performed under two categories
- Vital bleaching: this is the type of bleaching that is carried out on living teeth that has been discoloured or stained due to external factors like food, drinks, age or habits like smoking.
- Non-vital bleaching: this is the type of bleaching that is carried out on a lifeless tooth that has been discoloured or stained due to internal factors like root canal or cavity.
How to whiten your teeth
You can either have your teeth whitened in the dentist office or the comfort of your home.
Bleaching your teeth at home
Before you decide to get your teeth whitened or bleached at home, you must first consult your dentist. Purchasing a teeth whitening product without proper knowledge on how to use it can cause damage to your teeth. Your dentist may recommend any of these methods after consultation :
- Brushing with a toothpaste containing special bleach
- Special bleach with a customised mouth guard to be worn at special times
- Special bleach and heat, or a combination of both heat and light
The time for this home treatment can take anywhere between few days to a few weeks and is mostly for those on a low budget.
Bleaching your teeth in a dentist office
The first thing your dentist would do before the procedure would be to clean your teeth thoroughly to get rid of any plaque or tartar and also fill up any cavity that may be present. Afterwards, your gums will be covered with a rubbery shield to protect them from the harsh chemicals in the bleach solution. The teeth arethen coated with a solution containing10-35 percent of hydrogen peroxide or carbamide. The quantity of the solution is dependent on some factors, including the patient’s health. The dentist may also use heat and light for better results.
Cost of teeth whitening
Some factors can influence the cost of teeth whitening, and they include your location and the clinic you visit. However, the cost of teeth whitening on average ranges from £390 – £920.
Best teeth whitening products
It would be difficult to say which product works best for teeth whitening because different people have different preferences. Some would prefer chemical bleaching to natural teeth whitening or even charcoal whitening and vice versa. However, there are a selection of products recommendedby a dentist you can choose from if you wish to have your teeth whitened at home. They include:
- Active wow activated coconut charcoal powder
- Crest 3d white Whitestrips professional effects treatment
- Smile direct club led light and 6-month pen supply teeth whitening kit
- Lumibrite take-home whitening gel (32%) (for sensitive teeth whitening)
- Opalescence pf 35% whitening gel ( should be combined with custom whitening tray provided by your dentist
You can visit a trusted dental practice to inquire about their teeth whitening offers. Finding the right clinic is as important as getting the right teeth whitening product. Carry out intensive research before you settle on a dentist or dental clinic to get your teeth whitened.
You can look here for a professional teeth whitening procedure.